[ydl-gen] B&W and drive not recognised!

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Sep 25 13:49:48 MDT 2007

Dene, not to overstate the obvious, but all servers are fileservers as
everything in Linux/Unix is a file by definition anyway.

Perhaps it would be easier to define what function or task you have in
mind that you expect your server to do.  Will it be a Faxserver, a
Gameserver, or something else?  Will it run Apache, mySQL, both,
neither???
Depending on how you answer that, then one can discuss it being
headless and tasks which will be allowed or not amongst the daemons.

In my opinion, depending on what you are considering doing you may need
less hardware and software so that the server functions efficiently.
As far as dropping down to an earlier version of YDL (or anything
else), doing so depends on the functions you want it to execute as a
server.

The more efficient you want something, you may need current code
especially if you want your server secure from being hacked and overrun
by another.  The whole security angle is a major consideration,
depending on the server you are considering building and putting into
service.  After all, no one intentionally designs their server to
become a Spamserver or a Virus or Worm or worse server, but it happens
all the time because details matter and few System Administrators pay
attention to the details.

Your current statement of the server you have in mind however is just
too general. As for ideas, there are lots of texts discussing all kinds
of servers complete with defense strategies.

Best wishes...