[ydl-gen] PS3 Yellow Dog 5.02 DVD Playback

Thomas A. McGonagle tom at dataero.com
Sun Sep 30 14:38:21 MDT 2007

Hello Everyone,
 I just bought my first PS3 60GB with 1.90 Firmware installed. I installed
Yellow Dog and it was very easy.
 I have successfully installed mplayer and VLC. Both of which work and can
play video saved to the PS3. I can't read from the DVD drive (/dev/scd0)
though.

 When I put in a movie, I receive errors from mplayer saying that libdvdcss
can't decrypt the key. I also tried mounting the drive, and reading and even
copying a  VOB file with cp and the vobcopy tool. No luck, you can't even
copy a VOB off of the disk.

 I have scoured the net, looking for an explanation, and haven't been able
to find one. Some people think that it has something to do with the region
not being set on the drive. I tried the regionset utility, and it could not
set the region on the drive. It errored out.

 Does anyone know for sure what is happening? Is the drive locked to prevent
movie watching under Linux. If it is or is not, does anyone know a work
around?

 Thanks a lot,  and have a lovely weekend.
-Tom

--
Thomas A. McGonagle
tom at dataero.com