[ydl-gen] Problem sharing printer via Samba

Matt Smith boulderfans at comcast.net
Sat Jun 14 12:05:11 MDT 2008

I'm sorry if this is the wrong list.  Hopefully someone can help me, or
point me in the right direction.  I've used Linux/Unix for a long time, but
I'm rather new at administering one.  So you'll have to forgive me if this
comes across a bit newbie-ish.

I have Samba sharing my hard drive, but I'm having a rather difficult time
sharing my HP PhotoSmart 7150, and I'm stuck.

I was able to configure the printer via CUPS, print a test page and all that
just fine.

I have verified that my printer shows up in my /etc/cups/printers.conf:

[/etc/cups]
# more printers.conf
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.2.8
# Written by cupsd on 2008-06-07 20:55
<DefaultPrinter hp_photosmart_7150>
Info hp photosmart 7150
Location Local Printer
DeviceURI
hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_ffffffff_ffffffff_noserial_pri
nter_MY2693229
S2F
State Idle
StateTime 1212891471
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

I added a printer section to my smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
server string = Matt's Server
security = share
hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
load printers = yes
printcap name = /etc/printcap
printing = cups
cups options = raw
guest account = nobody
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
passdb backend = tdbsam
dns proxy = no

[Pictures]
comment = Pictures
path = /home/share/pictures
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
public = yes
read only = no

[Music]
comment = Music
path = /home/share/music
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
public = yes
read only = no

[Temp]
comment = Temporary stuff
path = /home/share/Temp
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
public = yes
read only = no

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printer admin = root
browseable = no
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
use client driver = yes

Here's the versions of the relevant systems:

# yum list installed | grep -i samba
samba-client.ppc                         3.0.24-6.fc5           installed

samba-common.ppc                         3.0.24-6.fc5           installed

[/boot/etc]
# yum list installed | grep -i cups
cups.ppc                                 1:1.2.8-1              installed

cups-libs.ppc                            1:1.2.8-1              installed

hal-cups-utils.ppc                       0.5.5-1.2.fc5.2        installed

libgnomecups.ppc                         0.2.2-3.2.1            installed

I have restarted Samba (/etc/init.d/smb restart), but I can't see the
printer listed when I try to browse to it from my Windows XP box.  I even
tried connecting to it directly from Windows by using
\\hostname\hp_photosmart_7150, but it still can't find it.

As a side note, when I configured the printer via CUPS, I had 4 variants to
add, and I just selected the first one.  The other 3 show up as "hp
photosmart 7150 USB #1", "HP photosmart 7150 USB MY2693229S2F HPLIP", and
"HPLIP Fax".  What is that all about?

Thanks for any help you can give me in advance.

- Matt