[ydl-gen] YDL vs Debian based distros

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue May 27 14:03:38 MDT 2008

Hi Kai:

I was always an admirer of Debian Linux, however like Red Hat (and Fedora)
Linux they primarily supported Intel and compatbiles.
Support for PowerPC systems was with them, an afterthought which they
yielded to depending upon the market penetration of computers using the
PowerPC chip.  When Apple used the PowerPC they and others, like Ubuntu (a
Debian variant) supported the machines that were in the marketplace.  When
Apple announced that they were no longer supporting the PowerPC, Ubuntu and
others eventually decided it was time to move on.  Some announcements
addressing Ubuntu's decision are presented here:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/02/15/ubuntu.axes.ppc.support/

http://google3-cnet.com.com/8301-10784_3-6159340-7.html

Yellow Dog Linux was from it's inception by Terra Soft Solutions always
designed to be a Linux running only on PowerPC systems and to maximize
features which only PowerPC systems have.  As far as being the premiere
Linux variant for the PowerPC I believe that the experience and committed
focus of their efforts working with PowerPC systems demonstrates their
value.

The other larger half of Linux which runs on Intel and other compatibles has
libraries available which vastly outmatch nearly anything available for
PowerPC based Linux, let alone YDL.  However, if the source isn't processor
specific chances are that it can be recompiled within YDL and run within
PowerPC systems which were Apple made or could be recompiled to work in the
currently available Cell, which is the heart of the PS3.

All the best...