[ydl-gen] YDL vs Debian based distros

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Tue May 27 14:21:07 MDT 2008

For what it is worth, I am using Ubuntu 7.10 on my PS3 and I am very
pleased with it. I appreciate that this is a YDL forum and I would
have stuck with YDL, but Ubuntu used later kernels and libraries and
I needed to use it in order to take advantage of the RSX based
accelerated Xorg, which I am very pleased with (and will never, never
update my firmware so that I can continue using it).

In addition, I found the (Ubuntu) repositories available with
synaptic and apt-get to be much, much more complete than any YUM
based repositories from Fedora/YDL. (I have tried numerous yum.conf
variations). In my experience, there is no comparison. This is too
bad, as I would like to go back to YDL 6, which has better PPC
support. With Ubuntu, I almost never needed to do a Google search for
an app or window manager. The repos even have support for GNUstep,
which took all day to install on a YDL machine.

cheers,

Warren Nagourney