[ydl-gen] YDL vs Debian based distros

Chris chrisonthelists at cenolan.com
Tue May 27 15:46:42 MDT 2008

I'd agree that the RPM repositories for YDL are somewhat lacking (no
php-mcrypt even, arrgh!), however I wouldn't say the same is true for
CentOS and Fedora - the standard repos for these, complimented by DAG,
Livna, RPMForge, FreshRPMS etc provide a huge range of RPMs.

Bearing in mind that YDL packages can (usually) be easily rebuilt from
CentOS source RPMs this dramatically increases the number of RPMs that
are easily obtained for YDL even if they aren't available directly in
the YDL repos. I haven't yet required a package for YDL that I couldn't
rebuild from the CentOS SRPM found in one of the many CentOS repos.

That said, I am running YDL as a server with no X11 installed, so for a
desktop system YMMV.