[ydl-gen] FileSystem Remount Readonly Issue - Help Please

Bill Fink billfink at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 14 20:40:03 MDT 2009

Hi Dene,

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Dene Stringfellow wrote:

> Can anyone please help? A user has just inadvertently deleted a folder
> of work from an SMB share stored on an ext3 partition on a YDL 3.0
> system running on an Apple G3 B&W tower. I have just unmounted the
> partition with a view to remounting the partition as readonly in an
> effort to try to recover the data, as I found the overnight backup
> failed last night!
>
> However when I try any of the following mount commands:
>
>     mount -o ro,remount /home/Lnx_CAD2
>
>     mount -o remount,ro /home/Lnx_CAD2
>
>     mount -t ext3 -o remount,ro /dev/sdb5 /home/Lnx_CAD2
>
>     mount -o remount,ro /dev/sdb5
>
>     mount -o remount,ro -t ext3 /dev/sdb5 /home/Lnx_CAD2
>
> I get the following error:
>
>     mount: /home/Lnx_CAD2 not mounted already, or bad option

If you already umounted it, then you just want to mount it read-only,
not remount it, i.e.

	mount -o ro /home/Lnx_CAD2

The remount option is for if the file system is already mounted,
and you want to change its usage, typically from ro to rw, which
I've used from a single user boot.

					-Hope this helps

					-Bill