[ydl-gen] PS3 recovery boot

rhubbell Rhubbell at iHubbell.com
Fri Sep 18 12:26:03 MDT 2009

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:54:05 -0400
Derick Centeno wrote:

> Glad you were able to fix it.
>
> Regarding translation:  It is always a risk to decipher what is
> actually being asked when the description of a problem or difficulty
> has multiple interpretations and nuances.  Unlike direct person to
> person communications which nearly everyone is used to, communication
> via the internet is perhaps the easiest to both misunderstand and
> misinterpret.  The risk I took was to follow one possible
> interpretation which turned out to be wrong.
>
> Explaining how I made that interpretation is unnecessary as you
> resolved your difficulty anyway.  I referred you to an official link
> to Fixstar's website as I believed the articles there would address
> some aspect of your query.  I hope that this was a good guess.
>
> All the Best...

Thanks again Derick.  Don't sweat it. Humor often times gets lost
as well.

FWIW, I didn't find the answer anywhere, but through the use of the install
dvd, and the mount command and cat and tail and head, I was able to
replace the /etc/yaboot.conf on the install hdd and reboot.

That's over simplified as I had to figure out how to stop the automatic
booting of the install dvd.

kboot: timeout=6000

...and the internal disk device name ps3d
etc.

What I was looking for was a way to boot into a single-user mode from the
dvd so I would have a minimal environment with basics, including an editor.

It's amazing to be able to run ydl on the PS3, hat's off to all the hard
work on this!