[ydl-gen] Powerbook G4 '12 1.33 GHz shutdown issue

Stephen Harker sjh at adfa.edu.au
Mon Apr 19 11:40:18 JST 2010

Hi Julian,

> I've updated all the packages to the latest and it still shuts down when
> it's on idle which happens after about 30 minutes of being idle.  this
> doesn't appear to be from excessive cpu usage.  I've observed the cpu via
> system monitor and that seems to be working fine.

This could be due to the settings for pbbuttonsd.  There are two power
related utilities that I recall: pbbuttons and pmud.  To check the
former try the command 'powerprefs' from the command line (or
equivalent to invoke 'PowerPrefs' from a gui).  Look for the settings
under both AC and battery.  There is a setting for the number of
seconds until suspend occurs.

You can change this to a more appropriate value or set to 0 (no
suspend).

If you choose the latter then the machine will run till the battery is
close to running out (this is set by pmud).  The pmud setting is in
/etc/power/levels, I don't recall if there is a gui to set it.

If this is not the problem I don't have any other ideas at the moment.

Stephen Harker                           s.harker at adfa.edu.au
PEMS
UNSW at ADFA