[ydl-gen] Java on PS3

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Fri Jan 15 14:45:24 JST 2010

As usual Robert, the easy way to get what you want is the least obvious.

First, take the time to learn how to modify the standard application
called yum which YDL uses for updates, installations, etc.  The
detailed instructions are here:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017

Take the time and make sure you understand what is there and then
modify yum accordingly.  Remember that when you come across a very long
explanation with a window you can scroll down within it for more
information within the YDL Board.  Pay attention to the section on YDL
6.2 and implement those recommendations.

After all that, I recommend that you include one more modification
which I'll share with you.  Include something called ps3bodega.  Why?
Because they already have the rpm and dependencies for IBM JRE which
you are having trouble with.

Here's a snapshot what yum refers to:

[aguila at arakus etc]$ cd yum.repos.d
[aguila at arakus yum.repos.d]$ ls
dribble.repo        ps3bodega.repo         yellowdog-updates.repo
fedora-extras.repo  yellowdog-base.repo
livna-stable.repo   yellowdog-extras.repo
[aguila at arakus yum.repos.d]$

Explanation:  Within the yum.repos.d directory are several files one of
which is ps3bodega.repo.  The ps3bodega.repo file consists of the
following:

[PS3Bodega]
name=PS3Bodega repo for Yellow Dog 6.2
baseurl=http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3linux/ps3bodega62/ppc/
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1

After all the above has been done then do:

#yum install "ibm*jre*"

then the jre and whatever programs/dependencies it needs to run are all
found and installed by yum for you.

Now regarding getting the java plugin to be seen and used by Firefox.
The instructions posted by Fixstars is old and hasn't been corrected.

Here's the shortcut after all the above has been completed find it
(libjavaplugin_oji.so) in YDL 6.2.  It should be here:

/opt/ibm/java*/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7

I don't like recommending links soft or hard as they can be hard to
remember and more problematic to change without affecting a Linux
installation.  An alternative is to use the copy command (cp) and copy
the desired plugin from the directory it was installed into and copy it
into the new location so that you see this:

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Once this last step is complete, I recommend a that you logout and
restart.  Once you are back in YDL Firefox will see and use the JRE.

All the best...