[ydl-gen] Java on PS3

Pat Wall pjwall at mac.com
Sat Jan 16 00:02:13 JST 2010

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:49:19 +0000
Pat Wall <pjwall at mac.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 00:45:24 -0500
> Derick Centeno <dcenteno at ydl.net> wrote:
>

> Hi Derick
>
> > Here's the shortcut after all the above has been completed find it
> > (libjavaplugin_oji.so) in YDL 6.2.  It should be here:
> >
> > /opt/ibm/java*/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7
> >
> > I don't like recommending links soft or hard as they can be hard to
> > remember and more problematic to change without affecting a Linux
> > installation.  An alternative is to use the copy command (cp) and
> > copy the desired plugin from the directory it was installed into
> > and copy it into the new location so that you see this:
> >
> > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> >

> As far as I know it is recommended for the JRE browser plugin that you
> use a symbolic link only to libjavaplugin_oji.so although other
> plugins such as gnash and vlc can be copied to the plugins folder.
>
> see http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Java
>
> I found that if I copied libjavaplugin_oji.so it didn't register
> with Firefox and no applets would be displayed but it didn't
> actually cause a crash as indicated in the link above.

Firefox crashing may be related to the Sun's JRE
plugin only. According to the IBM sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.htm:

"Installing the Java plug-in

To install the Java plug-in, symbolically link it to the plug-in
directory for your browser.

The Java plug-in is based on Mozilla's Open JVM Integration initiative,
which is used with most Mozilla products and derivatives, including
Firefox.

You must symbolically link the plug-in, rather than copy it, so that
the browser and plug-in can locate the JVM."

Presumably if it doesn't register in the first instance it can't crash
Firefox.