[Fwd: Enlightenment and more]

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
06 Apr 2002 01:11:23 +0000

--=-Kt2l4p2rUExFfLwcuOkd

Perhaps this yellowdog list area is the better place the answer the
questions I've forwarded here....

--=-Kt2l4p2rUExFfLwcuOkd

Subject: Enlightenment and more
From: Derick Centeno <aguila@macol.net>
To: YDL <yellowdog-devel@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
Date: 05 Apr 2002 14:52:18 +0000

I had recently installed enlightenment provided on the Extras disk and
discovered that many features unique to enlightenment which made it my
favorite window manager were missing.  The experience was disappointing
enough that I removed enlightenment; ie. uninstalled it.

However before then, the system reported 2 missing dependencies required
by enlightenment:

1. fnlib
2. libFnlib.so.0

The Extras disk does have fnlib and enlightenment will install and
function without the second package, however it will also be missing
many functions which regular users, such as myself, of enlightenment
appreciate, and have found superior in comparison to how other managers
function.  Suggestion: I hope that it possible to have within a YDL ftp
library the missing libaries optimized for the ppc.  There are libraries
out there, on the net, with the same name and version number but they
are optimized for Intel.

A different question/problem:
I am interested in discovering in how to copy to a file a screen dump;
ie, I want to know the command sequence necessary to have the system's
response to a command placed into a file.  Here are commands I have
tried.  The problems of their usage continues below:

   91  rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/Yell*/ppc/enlight* > enlightlist
   92  ls
   93  vim enlight*
   94  rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/Yell*/ppc/enlight* | cat > enlightlist
   95  vi enligh*
   96  ls
   97  rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/Yell*/ppc/enlight*>enlightlist
   98  vi enlight*
   99  rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/Yell*/ppc/enlight*| cat > enlightlist

As you see I've used indirection, pipes, and other shortcuts; in each
case no file reflecting what actually occured on the screen or within a
terminal was generated.  My experience with these particular command
sequences is that they successfully copy and put into a new file results
from a normal execution.  However, when and if any error occurs
interfering with what a process expects to pass into a file then nothing
is passed into a file although the error is reported
on the screen.

As it is difficult to know when there will be a successful execution of
a command I would like to know if there is a way, or a sequence of
commands, which I can execute which would collect the contents of
whatever I or the system sent to the screen or terminal beforehand and
send those contents to a file.

A different difficulty, at least for me.
Although Gnome and KDE are really flexible there are aspects to them
which are thoroughly incomplete.  For instance, one cannot remove an
applet with the same ease with which one added it to a panel; one has
to be astute enough to know the name of the process attached to that
applet so that one can then "kill" the process, then the applet is
removed.

Also if one is intended to create a new panel, for whatever reason,
removing it does not mean using the "remove this panel" popup because
that popup refers to removing not the new panel one intends to remove
but rather the panel to which the popup is attached which is usually the
main primary panel.

Other "interface" inconsistencies include the trashcan; one cannot
merely select "control T" and empty the trash.  One has to actually wait
for a dialog box...

This certainly helps me appreciate the Mac OS; I'll move into X as soon
as prices come down.  Even windows isn't so clunky and inconsistent.

Anyway below is a listing of all the processes running at a particular
time.  I'm interested in removing three things:

1.  An unwanted panel
2.  A logout button.
3.  The time/date applet which appears on the standard panel; it appears
on my panel twice.

I present the process list below because I hope someone can tell me
which process I have to "kill" in order to remove each of these three
items.  Kindly list the names of the process (identifying which process
name is which applet) so that I can recognize them and place them into
my notes.

Thanks for your help.... Derick.

--=-Kt2l4p2rUExFfLwcuOkd--