Video Card problem

FB Eye yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:51:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hello 8)

This is my very first post on this list and I'm such a newbie to the world of Linux, so please bare with me:

1. I have an AGP 400mhz Graphite G4 with an Nvidia GeForce 2MX video card that was swapped from a Quicksilver 733mhz G4 (card works flawlessly in both OS 9 and X). My monitor is a 21" Viewsonic P815

2. I easily and succesfully completed the installation of YDL 2.2 on my secondary internal IDE drive.

3. While in the setup portion of the installation, I configured my sceen resolution to the same one I use in OS 9 or X, that being 1152x862 + I identified my monitor correctly.

4. I can easily boot into Linux with no problems and so far so good. I selected the text login option, and when i type "startx" to get KDE going (after login in correctly), i get this error message:

(EE) FBDEV (0): weight given (000) is inconsistent with the dept (32)
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error.
no screens found

What the hell have I  done wrong? Have I selected a wrong sceen resolution? If this rez is supported in OS 9 or X, why does Linux refuse to use it? Anyway, how can I fix this and have KDE running in full 1152x862 glory?

Thank you so much 8-)
Cheers!!!

    This message was sent using submail.net!