YDL 2.3 install problem: can't read partition table?

Stefano Mori yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:07:37 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to install YDL 2.3 on an 8500/604e/180, 144MB, with three SCSI disks attached.

Kernel 2.4.x boots and either the text mode or X11 installer will run.

At the "partition" step of the install, I create some partitions on /dev/sdb, and leave sda and sdc alone (they have various mac volumes on).

But once I've created the partitions for linux on sdb, I go to the "mount points" step of the install process and I get this error regarding _sda_:

"Partition's data region doesn't occupy the entire partition."

I dug around a bit in the install scripts and see that mount.py makes some call to get info on the available disks, including I guess reading their partition maps... but I'm just guessing.

sda is my normal Mac OS 9 starup disk and has a SpeedTools driver on it and various other mac volumes.
pdisk reports:

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/scsi0.1' (/dev/sda)
 #:                type name        length   base     ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple           99 @ 1
 2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh       64 @ 100
 3:           Apple_HFS untitled   1331200 @ 164      (650.0M)
 4:           Apple_HFS untitled   1331200 @ 1331364  (650.0M)
 5:           Apple_HFS untitled   1331200 @ 2662564  (650.0M)
 6:           Apple_HFS untitled   1331200 @ 3993764  (650.0M)
 7:           Apple_HFS untitled  30240768 @ 5324964  ( 14.4G)
 8:          Apple_Free Extra          746 @ 35565732

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=35566480 (17.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1: @ 100 for 27, type=0x1

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it?
Maybe amending the script or maybe manually mounting the linux and swap partitions to let me skip to the next step in the install???

Thanks,
Stefano