Setting up a printer for the network

Sören Kuklau yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 22:22:02 +0200

Hi,

I have an EPSON Stylus COLOR 740 printer which has a parallel, a USB
and a (Mac) serial port. The machine running YDL (2.2) does not have
USB, so I need to connect the printer through the serial port. Webmin
does not appear to be aware of Mac serial ports: it only lists up the
typical x86 LPT and COM ports, USB ports and "no device" as options.
I've tried to access the CUPS web admin tool, but it refused access.

Thus, it seems I have to manually set it up. I've downloaded a PPD file
from linux-printing.org for my printer.

I need the printer to work with both a SMB network (Samba is set up) as
well as a AppleTalk network, since my iBook is able to access SMB
*shares*, but not SMB *printers*.

TIA,
--
Soeren Kuklau