Cannot Continue Installation Update2...

Chad Zoellner yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:46:38 -0700

>> Message: 5
>> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:24:47 -0700
>> Subject: Cannot continue installation...
>> From: Chad Zoellner <chadz@tt123.com>
>> To: <yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>>
>> G3 400 AGP DVD No OS just trying to load YDL the installer boots fine from
>> the CD into a text interface/no graphic. After selecting the keyboard type
>> it asks to specify the CD-Rom "LOCAL cd/dvd", since this is what I have,
>> "OK" it then says it is unable to mount it, though the drive does spin up
>> for a split second.
>>
>> So far I have tried the workarounds prev. posted -- hdc=ide-scsi and vice
>> versa. The first will get it past the cd check but it tells me I have more
>> than one cd drive and if it fails to mount to place the disk into the
> other
>> drive.  I have only one drive. And it always fails. I am stuck. I have
> tried
>> to work through the custom install but since I am still learning all this
>> keep mangling the mount points.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:02:52 -0700
> Subject: Cannot Install Cont...
> From: Chad Zoellner <chadz@tt123.com>
> To: <yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>
> Update,
> Tried pulling every other card out of the machine on the chance that my scsi
> card or my video capture card was causing the prob still cannot mount the cd
> when checking  multimedia.
>
> Also hooked every open connection with spare hard drives in case it was
> thinking that an open slot in the chain was a cd drive but still could not
> mount the cd during the install process.
>
> Again any help would be appreciated, I am running out of options here,
>
> The next thing I am going to try is to swap out the DVD drive with a
> standard Cd-Rom. I figure if that works and I can get installed I can
> redirect the path to the drive as others have done.
>
> -chadz

Update part 2

Unhooked everything except the video card, one hard drive,  and the dvd
drive. Tried the 2.3 installer again and had the same issue... " you have
more than one cd/dvd drive installed"..."unable to mount the drive".

Swapped the DVD drive for a standard CD-Rom and had the same issue.

Hooked up both the DVD and the CD-Rom.. Had the same issue even swapping the
disk back and forth between drives during the installation.

I am now officially out of ideas, nothing anywhere is addressing this issue
on any FAQ or mailing list.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Chadz