About to Give up on YDL for PM 6500s

Gary Vankirk yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:09:40 -0700

I'm using the original network card. It was a pain in the a* to get
it to work (I will be installing a second, Asante, card when it
arrives, so that the machine can straddle our internal network and
the DSL line). I finally got adduser to work by doing the custom
install, first installing the "workstation" package, then immediately
installing the "server" package. Networking CANNOT be configured
during the install on this machine. I've wiped the drive and
installed 5 times over a 2-day period. I'm now trying to get proftpd
to work. I have our UNIX guru sitting in. She gets frustrated because
things are not put in the directories where you would expect them to
be, apparently this is not standardized.

This, at least the setup of it, is not ready for Grandma and Grandpa,
nor my wife or my mother, or any of the people who work here (a
newspaper). I can't say about usability, I haven't gotten that far.

I don't think that Mac users are spoiled, Windows users are just
deprived (and I own 5 of those damned machines) and I don't know why
THEY put up with it.

gary