GPS & map software?

Beartooth yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:54:25 -0400 (EDT)

	I have a new machine due to arrive tomorrow -- the souped
up iBook from Terrasoft, with iirc 26GB for YDL, 9 for OSX, and 1
for OS9 (??) -- I hope that's reasonable.

	The machine is mainly for my wife's retirement present;
most of its use will be by her: email, web surfing, some word
processing, and a little long-distance Scrabble. I figured OSX
might be more user-friendly for her, since she's been fighting W95
at work -- less of a learning curve, or so I hope.

	YDL and the bulk of the space are because the other use of
the machine, as soon as feasible, will be on the passenger's lap in
conjunction with a GPS -- and, I hope, maybe our existing map CDs
(Garmin, DeLorme, MapQuest, MapTech) -- all of them written for
MurkySlop, alas! But that's the last remaining use for the old W98
drive on this machine -- and it's not going to stop me from
replacing that drive, and taking the old one to the firing range,
whereupon we'll be MS-free before '03.

	My experience so far is that my aurally humid marginal
grasp of linux is nowhere near adequate yet to run either wine or
any of the presently extant map/GPS software for linux. I'm just
betting, since I have to bet blind, that linux will manage one way
or another before Apple does -- and those map CDs are monster
memory hogs.

	But maybe somebody on this list knows better. In
particular, is that space allocation (26 : 9 : 1) optimal -- or
should the partitioning be changed before i start installing
privoxy on YDL, and other defenses against hacking, advertising,
and spyware -- as well as browsers, newsreaders, etc??

--
Beartooth the Stubborn <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>, double retiree,
linux hatchling w/ RH 7.2; ssh'd (DSL) to pine 4.43 on ISP's SunOS 5.8;