GPS & map software?

dano yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:06:40 -0700

Dunno if this will answer your question, but here's a little info
about GPS and the Mac.

I believe GRASS has been ported to YDL. Check Terrasoft's site. In
fact since you're getting the machine from them and they have GRASS
in house (it's OSS), why not ask them to install it before shipping?
(If you can get to them in time.)

ESRI says there is no hope of ArcView ever going to Linux, but who knows...
ThinkSpace (or whatever their name is now) makes MapFactory (also
renamed) for Mac OS 9. Afaik they are still on the fence on porting
it to X. However they do a lot of Java programming so maybe they'll
just port it to Java and not worry about X.

Also, ArcView is vector and MF is raster. Which format will you be
using and how big will your maps be?

For a good source of general info of GPS on Mac and especially
hardware, check <http://www.gpsy.com/>. Also check out the article
that Karen (the owner/manager of GPSy) wrote for TidBits a few years
back. <http://www.tidbits.com/>

HTH,

DOD