errno 17 install error

Mr. Jones yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:46:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi there,

I saw a couple references to my problem in this list's archive , but no
solution:

	could not create rpm directories or
	database:exceptions.Exception:[Errno17]
	File exists:'/tmp/root/var'

This post was relevant:

	http://plip.com/url/f/81add.php

but did not propose a viable solution.

My Setup:

	B&W G3 450Mhz/640MB
	Rage 128/Voodoo 3000
	30GB IDE/2GB SCSI via Adaptec 2930

I have to run the installer in "install-text-safe" mode, or else the
installer freezes on boot (doesn't like extra unused voodoo?).  I choose
"default" for level of interaction, choose to install from CD, then
installer then sees my SCSI drive fine, let's me format it, but then when
I choose "Done" after selecting my SCSI drive, i get above error.  Also,
the 30Gig IDE is dedicated to OS9.

ctl+option+f4 shows a ton of log data a lot of which looks bad.  Random
sampling of badness is:

EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
Adding Swap: 262136k swap-space (proiority -1)
attempt to access beyond end of device
08:06: rw=0, want=262164, limit=10240
EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,6)): ext2_read_inode: unable to read inode
	block - inode 30273, block 65540

Ideas?

tia,
-adj