Various newbie questions

Stephen Jonke yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:11:57 -0400

I installed YDL 2.3 on my old 366 MHz iBook. Needless to say, I have
questions. I wasn't able to start X Windows (using xinit) until I
followed the procedure on the web page to turn off video acceleration.
This worked, however, after having logged out it seems to not have
stuck, or in any case I once again get errors when trying to start X
Windows. Is there a way to make this change permanent? Presumably I
could put the command in a .login or .bashrc or something?

I have a partition for Mac OS X which I formatted in UFS format,
thinking it to be visible from Linux, but it isn't. More importantly the
partition doesn't show up in YDL's boot up OS selector. Fortunately I
can still select it by holding the option key at startup which dumps me
into the iBook's open firmware boot volume selector (I was pleased to
see that YDL showed up in there too, complete with Penguin). I also
created a mount point during the install at /osx that was supposed to be
the OS X UFS volume, but when navigating in there there is nothing in
it. Secondly, I can't see my linux partition from Mac OS X, even from
the command-line. Or is it that I just don't know where it is I'm
supposed to look for it?

How do you start KDE? When I log in all I get is a command-line prompt.
I know that gnome-session starts gnome and I tried that and it worked,
but how do you start KDE? There is no kde executable that I can find and
I couldn't find anything in the man pages on kde. I installed the
developmental workstation packages, or whatever it was called, which was
supposed to include KDE. No doubt it is a "gnome-session"-like command
that is simply eluding me.

On the positive side, once I found the info on the web page regarding
it, I did get my airport network working without problems.

Steve