Various newbie questions

Eric D. yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:48:04 -0400

on 29/7/02 13:11, Stephen Jonke at sjj_public@mac.com wrote:

> I have a partition for Mac OS X which I formatted in UFS format,
> thinking it to be visible from Linux, but it isn't. More importantly the
> partition doesn't show up in YDL's boot up OS selector. Fortunately I
> can still select it by holding the option key at startup which dumps me
> into the iBook's open firmware boot volume selector (I was pleased to
> see that YDL showed up in there too, complete with Penguin). I also
> created a mount point during the install at /osx that was supposed to be
> the OS X UFS volume, but when navigating in there there is nothing in
> it. Secondly, I can't see my linux partition from Mac OS X, even from
> the command-line. Or is it that I just don't know where it is I'm
> supposed to look for it?

I haven't the foggiest notion as to how to deal with your other problems
(which is why I'm not spending my time on YDL at the moment... I'm thinking
of giving Linux a complete pass until YDL hits 3.x and can operate without
CLUI commands... OS X does all I need, runs all the OSS I use, and never,
ever requires me to enter the CLUI... in time Linux/OSS will be the future
for desktop (i.e. consumer) OSes, but I don't foresee that happening for a
few years yet :(:(

UFS is effectively a dead format for Mac OS X and is included for backward
compatibility with older Darwin apps -- Apple is focussing on HFS+ nowadays
(with HFS kept around for compatibility with older Macs).

Linux can't read UFS, and Mac OS X can't read either version of the file
system that YDL uses. YDL can read (with the help of some tools) HFS, and I
believe you can access HFS+ (user beware though) with the help of "MOL" (Mac
on Linux). What seems to be the best solution is to have a partition
formatted as HFS and use that to transfer files between the three OSes
(Linux, OS X and OS 9).

Eric.