6100 and 2.2

l.biagiotti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:46:58 +0200

on 30-07-2002 17:33, Thomas Carlson at tcarls@earthlink.net wrote:

> Just started with this list this morning so I don't anything about your
> installation woes.  Got most of my information from the linux ppc nubus
> list.  First of all, my G3 upgrade is made by Newer.  Don't think the Sonnet
> one works but I may be wrong.  Let me know where in the installation process
> you are stuck and I will try to help you.

Hi Thomas and thanks for replying.

For the moment being I really do not care about the accelerator, I just
disabled it in order not to run the risk of eventual incompatibilities. All
I want now is to succeed in installing YDL on the machine, the time will
come for eventual setups :-).

Anyway.
After trying various methods I came to understand that the only booter that
would work on the 6100 is MkLinux. I installed it and, had to discover by
myself how to configure the lilo.conf file (well to tell you the truth I
also had to discover by myself that I would have had to configure this
file...).
Then I had to struggle with various kernels I picked at the nubus.pmac site,
until I got the right one and finally came to see the graphic YDL
installation program.

Now my problem is that this installer tells me that it can't find any cd-rom
drive in the machine (I have a stock Pioneer slot-loading drive).
I already knew this one would come when I discovered that I wouldn't be able
to boot from the YDL cd.

Now I'm trying to understand if:

a) There is a way to force the YDL installer under MkLinux to recognize the
cd drive or,

b) If I can use my Iomega Zip 100 drive instead of the cd to install Linux
(in this case what would I have to copy from the YDL cd?)

c) If there alternatively would be a way to start the installation by
copying the entire content of the YDL cd on my HFS+ partition (which is the
only one I can use presently. I even tried to d/l MountX but I really do not
understand how to use the thing).

So, each and every suggestion will be more than welcome.

Lorenzo