using yup, apt-get

Kimball Larsen yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 07:03:37 -0600

First off, I highly recommend you read the man pages for apt-get, yup, an=
d rpm=20
before you mess with this stuff.

That said, here ya go.

As root, do the following:

in a terminal, type:
rpm -q kdebase

This will ask the rpm package database what version(s) of kdebase you hav=
e=20
installed, and will return something like this:

[quangdog@localhost quangdog]$ rpm -q kdebase
kdebase-3.0.0-2b

only yours will probably list 2 of them...=20

so then, decide which version you want to keep, and do the following:

rpm -e --test kdebase-versionToRemove=20

This will tell you that there are all kinds of dependancies that will be=20
broken if you do this... if you feel confident that you can complete this=
 rpm=20
surgery carefully to remove the old packages without breaking stuff beyon=
d=20
repair, then do this:

rpm -e --nodeps kdebase-versionToRemove

I would repeat this process with all your duplicate packages (there were =
about=20
10-15 when I installed kde 3)

To find duplicate packages, you can do this:
apt-get check

That should not only list what packages are duplicates, but will also giv=
e you=20
the version numbers of the packages installed, so its easier to decide wh=
ich=20
ones to remove.

Good luck!

-Kimball