No Mac OS CD - What Now?

Marc Stergionis yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:01:48 -0600

At sometime around 12:41 PM -0400 on 6/18/02, John Kim wrote thus:
>I'd love to have a chance to do nothing with my Mac!  But I'm not sure what
>you mean ... If I download System 7.5 Installation floppies from Apple (19
>of them!), then will I be able to partition the HD into 2 partitions, and
>put System 7.5 into one of the partitions?  And then be able to install
>BootX?
>
>My Mac already has OS8.5 on it (but I don't have the install CD), and it has
>only one HD. I'd like to avoid having to buy an OS install CD or another HD.
>After all... I might wind up doing nothing with this!  :)

So ... you only have one hard drive? and no external storage (zip, Jaz)?

If you had one other storage device larger than a floppy, you could
copy your System Folder onto it (with Drive Setup, of course!!) and
partition your drive. Then copy it back on.

OR, with another Mac, you could connect the two (AppleTalk or
Ethernet) and copy onto the other machine's drive. Then boot with a
7.5x installer or rescue disk.

I think you'll need to *install* from a floppy if you don't have
access to other storage to copy your System Folder. If you try to put
your System and Finder Files onto a floppy and then copy them back
onto the partitioned Drive, the Finder will be busy, won't be able to
be copied.

-ms
--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis