Making CD of ydl-2.1 iso file

Eric D. yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 17:39:57 -0500

on 30/3/02 17:19, John Baughman at jbaugh@mac.com wrote:

> Eric,
> Thank you for responding to my question.
> I've followed your advice.  I burned a CD in Toast by selecting "Disk Image"
> and dragging the fuji....iso file onto Toast.  I now have a CD called
> "ydl-2.1" that can be mounted on the desktop.  It contains numerous folders
> and files.
>
> But I can't figure out how to boot from the CD to do the Linux
> installation.  Is there a special way to boot from a CD that does not have a
> Mac OS system on it?  I can't select it from the startup disk control panel
> and booting with the "c" key depressed does not work.  The install video
> simply says to insert the CD and boot from it.  I'm sorry if I am a pest.
> I'm very new at this Linux thing.  But I sure would like to get it installed
> and get some experience with it.  Alternately, is there some way to do the
> installation from a hard drive?  I have 3 separate drives.  I've initialized
> the stock drive on my beige G3 for use with ydl.  I have OS 9.2.2 and OS X
> on separate partitions of a second drive.

I'm cc-ing this response back to the newbie list.

This is beyond my experience. So you're running a Beige G3!

Perhaps this has something to do with BootX? Is a Beige G3 a "NewWorld"
machine? (I don't think it is) You may want to open up
YDL-2.1/install/BootX_Installer.hqx and install it in your Control Panels
(or wherever the installer installs it... PS you'll have to de-binhex the
installer to your HD).

This may be the extra step you need? (can anyone comment on this?)

PS I would suggest making sure you have a HFS (not HFS+) partition (e.g. 100
MB) available on one of your HDs that you can use to transfer files from
Linux to Mac OS & back (don't ask me how to do that -- I have yet to figure
out how to mount my "bootstrap" partition in Linux).

Eric.