YDL 2.3 on a PowerMac 8600 ...

Rama, Subu yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 05:21:58 -0800

I was able to successfully install YDL 2.3 on a PowerMac 8600.

logging in from the GUI in failsafe mode works fine.
However, whenever I choose either Gnome or KDE, the system just freezes.
Sometimes the KDE session manager dies with a SEGV and sometimes it just
freezes.

Gnome doesn't even get that far. The initial Gnome window for initialization
appears to go through. After that, nothing. Just the blue screen.

On killing the X server (Ctrl+Alt+backspace), the mouse disappears.
On killing it again, the mouse sometimes reappears and sometimes doesn't.

And sometimes on killing the X server, the system comes to a command login
prompt
but never lets me login. Freeze, hard reboot, fsck etc.

Has anyone tried to run YDL 2.3 on a plain vanilla (no additional boards)
PowerMac 8600 ? I am running it on a partition on an external SCSI drive.

I have an ADB keyboard and an ADB mouse. My XF86Config-4 was generated by
XAutoconfig (I have disabled it from running everytime on boot). The video
is
from the framebuffer and the mouse protocol in the config file is IMPS/2,
/dev/mouse.

Will YDL 2.2 be better ?

Thank you
Subu