Getting Closer to YD on a Starmax 3000/180

Bert Knabe yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:26:33 -0500

Well, after spending a period of a couple of months backed off from the
frustrations of trying to get a current distro of Linux on my little
'Max, I tried again this weekend. As a test, I installed LinuxPPC Q4
2001 on a 4gig SCSI drive. It installed with no problems, and had the
same troubles I'd had with it once installed as before. I even managed
to half solve one of them (didn't have time to track down the full
solution). Just so you know, I've tried Mandrake, Gentoo, YD, LinuxPPC
(which is the closest I've gotten to a fully functioning install), and
Debian. Only LinuxPPC (and maybe YD) finished the install process.

Encouraged, I attempted to install YD Rome on the trailing 4gig
partition of a 12 gig IDE drive. I started the install and went to bed
once it appeared it was going ok. When I woke up the computer was in
the MacOS. I tried to start Linux, but it would load to a point, then
ask for a run level. Nothing I entered would get it to go any farther.
Thinking there may have been a problem, I tried to reinstall, using the
YD partitioning tool to wipe the Linux partitions. No go. So I have two
questions.

1. Would it be insanely difficult (besides the fact I'll need to learn
how to do things I don't currently know how to do) to install LinuxPPC
and update the kernels and software? I don't think LinuxPPC has apt or
wget or any other relatively easy means of updating.

2. I realize I probably need to get the preceding text so you know what
is going on, but does anyone know what I need to do to progress past
the run level query, assuming I can get it working to that point again?

Thanks,
Bert

--
Have you ever noticed that the more time you have, the less you do with
it?