local network

Russell Brunet yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:25:27 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, sorry to break the thread, but I'm booted in linux and can't get to any of the previous messages to reply. I have a working network card in both machines, but whenever I try to ping, I get the message "network is unreachable"

Basically, what I need is a hand holding walkthrough. Again, what I'm trying to do is set up a local network between my two computers (G4 running yellowdog and PII running redhat). I have working network cards in both machines and they are joined by a crossover ethernet cable.

Here are my configurations so far (but I can change them to whatever anyone suggests)

Mac:

ip:192.168.0.1
netmask:255.255.255.0
default gateway:192.168.0.15

Pentium:

ip: 192.168.0.15
netmask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.0.15

I would rather do all of my setup in the command line to leave no doubt as to what the settings are, but alas, I'm a newbie and I'm only in the third week of my Intro to Unix class. So any suggestions would be appreciated and please treat me as if I'm in kindergarten. When people refer to certain config files that need to be configured, I usually have no clue. My unix understanding doesn't go far beyond navigating the file structure and editing in vi. I just learned a little about redirection and pipelines, but please go easy on me.

Muchas Gracias mis amigos,

Russell Brunet