local network using ethernet and modem

Chuck Coleman yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:07:27 -0700

on 9/16/02 9:35 PM, Russell Brunet at brunet@mac.com wrote:

> Well, I think I have tracked down the problem. My PC has the following NIC:
> Intel EthereExperss Pro/100A (rev 03) with a 82865 chipset. A cursory review
> of the internet using google has told me that this isn't compatible. But I
> wasn't able to find any references to RedHat 7.3 which is what I'm running
> on the PC. Do you know of any generic drivers that might get it to work? I
> may just try to get an old network card from work, but in the meantime if
> you have any ideas I'd appreciate it.

You could try to see if there is an Intel driver when you configure your
NIC. This is kind of the hunt and peck method but I have gotten it to work
in the past. It takes time to configure each driver and then test the
system.

Or...

...you could try the tulip driver.

try adding this to /etc/modules.conf:

alias eth0 tulip

where eth0 is the location of your Ethernet card. That will force it to use
the tulip driver, and it might make a difference.

Chuck