Installation issue - please help!

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:35:27 -0400

Hello -=20

I have been trying to install Yellow Dog Linux onto my Performa 6400 for the past couple of days=2E  I get all the way through the formatting of my disks and then, when trying to choose Home/Office, I get a kernel panic and the system reboots=2E  I apologize that I do not have the exact message to share, but can send it if necessary=
=2E

Let me give you more info - the problem is that I believe that the hard drive in the Performa has some bad sectors at the end of the disk=2E  I knew that there were some issues with the hard drive because I kept having problems with Mac OS alone=2E  I have 1=2E6 Gb of disk space internal to the machine and 3=2E2 on an external drive=2E  I planned to install Mac OS and YDL on the main hard drive and then use the external drive for additional apps, etc=
=2E

The problem is that when something is installed on the very end of the internal hard drive, it has problems=2E  I tried installing Mac OS in the last 150Mb of disk space and it had all kinds of disk related problems, whereas installing it on the front end of the disk produced no problems=2E=
=20

I believe the kernel panic I'm getting is because it's trying to access disk space on a bad sector=
=2E

Here are some ideas I have, please let me know if they will work=2E =20

1=2E I can partition the main hard drive, leaving the last 200Mb of space unused to try to avoid the problems=2E  The problem with this is that I want to install the Home/Office suite and that will likely not provide me with enough hard drive space for the install=2E  Unless I can bypass Mac OS in some way and not have to install it=
=2E

2=2E  If I can get the Linux installer to recognize the external USB drive during installation, perhaps I could use the space on that during the install=
=2E

Please let me know what options I have - I really want to run with YDL!

Thanks - Jason