YDL 2.3 Installation Problem: won't mount CD

David B. Chorlian yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:30:12 -0400 (EDT)

	System:  Blue & White G3 (with G4 processor upgrade) and existing
	dual boot (MacOS 9.1 & Mandrake Linux 8.0) configuration on
	original (6 GB) disk.  Regular IDE CD drive.
	ATI Rage128 Video Card
	New PCI-IDE controller card with attached disk (40 GB), 1/2 Mac,
	1/2 empty for future Linux installation.

	Objective:  Install Linux on new disk.

	The YDL 2.3 CD will not boot from keyboard action, but will
	boot from Yaboot multi-boot option prompt.  I then get the
	text installer.  I get to the point where it asks me for the
	installation medium and provides me only with the CD as an option.
	I choose it.  It then asks me to insert the CD in the drive.
	I have both removed and reinserted the CD and left it in at this
	point, but when I choose "OK", it says it can't mount the CD.
	I can then get to partition and format the new disk and select
	mount points, but it understandably crashes after I've selected
	a package class for installation.  (This problem was first
	mentioned by Chad Zoellner, but I did not see a solution when
	reading the archives.)

	Any suggestions for a quick fix?

	If there's no quick fix for this, how about the following, with
	the details to be filled in by reading the documentation?
	Mount the YDL CD using Mandrake, copy a bootable kernel from
	the CD to someplace, then reboot and use a boot option to boot
	from the new kernel.  (This is needed because neither Mandrake
	8.0 or 8.2 have support for the PCI-IDE card.)	Presumably at
	this point I can see the disk attached to the PCI-IDE card,
	so then I can check whether the formatting was done correctly,
	and then I can copy the YDL kernel to the appropriate partition,
	and then ... presumably copy whatever else on the CD is needed
	to complete the installation to the new disk, use yaboot on
	the Mandrake installation to write a bootstrap partition on the
	new disk, and if necessary use open firmware to change the boot
	partition, then boot from the new disk, mount the CD, and then
	use rpm to put in all the packages on the new disk.

	Any opinions on this?

David B. Chorlian
davidc@panix.com