New to Linux

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:23:22 -0000

--On Monday, February 10, 2003 12:26 pm -0600 chriskomarnicki@shaw.ca wrote:

> 2. Do OS X and OS 9 need to be on separate partitions when Linux ISN'T
> installed? I've always had them on the same partition, and have never run
> into any problems.

Slightly OT but...the recommended install if you  are intending to boot
into 9 (as opposed to just running Classic) is to have them on separate
partitions.  You then also install a stripped down 9 on the X partition and
set *that* to be your 'Classic' system.  You don't have problems
necessarily with them on the same partition, it's just easier and less easy
to accidentally delete things to have them on separate partitions.

> 5. On a different note, where can I find other GUIs besides Gnome and
> KDE? I'd like to maybe find something faster, since both of these were
> quite slow during the brief time I had YDL running on my iBook.

Gnome and KDE are desktop managers.  I *think* they are the only two
around.  You don't need a desktop manager though, you can do with just a
windows manager - like sawfish or enlightenment.  These are eminently
customisable and are much faster than a whole desktop manager.

(Please note I'm still somewhat of a linux newbie so i could be wrong with
this!)

Suzanne