mounting hfs for shared partition

Angela Kahealani yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:37:05 -1000

Use the destructive Mac partitioner "Drive Set-Up" from OS 9 or
"Disk Utility" from OS X to partition initially to make 9 and X
happy. If you make an HFS partition, Linux will be able to mount it
Read-Only. Then use the YDL install utilities to change type of
or subpartition any of the partitions you created under MacOS.
Remember Old-World Macs can only boot from the first 8GB of a disk...
regardless how that is partitioned. Thus you can dual boot from
two 4GB partitions at the front end of a multi-GB drive.

Elliott G Williams wrote:

> okay, so what is the best coarse of action for me to have a shared

Coarse = rough
Course = path

> partition? when i use that stupid mac osX disk utility, it only allows me
> to select mac os or mac os extended or unix (sun ufs which ydl still cant
> read) or to leave blank. and i think that if i change any partitions i
> would have to reformate again.
>
> can i use ydl to reformat a partition and then manually mount in osX, and
> if so what type should i use/is recognized by osX

OSX will happily read from UFS
OSX is not happy running from UFS

OSX wants HFS+ to install on
OSX will handle data on HFS fine