So New I have an Umbillical Cord

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:45:57 -0000

--On Friday, February 21, 2003 10:25 pm +0000 Nick
<email@ilikepaperandpens.com> wrote:

> However then the machine just flicked between a text login display and a
> black screen every couple of minutes. Hmmm, i pondered, then i
> reinstalled it, this time with a text login. opened it up fine but had an
> odd array of errors when i typed startx. Any suggestions?

Ooooh...deja vu!  I feel like I've responded this question already today!
You missed the last poster by only a few hours! :)

Here's my offering on the matter, for what it's worth:

It's most likely a video problem, check the YDL site to see if there are
any particular video arguments they recommend to try in the window you see
at bootup where you choose to log into MacOs or Linux.  Check also if they
make reference to your particular upgrade card - some of these cannot be
supported.

Check the log: /var/log/XFree86.0.log  It should tell you where the X
Server had trouble.  It'll probably end up saying something unhelpful like
"no screens found", but it's a start.

Then try running an X Configuration program: /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86cfg which
will configure X for your particular machine.  You might have to copy the
resultant XF86Config file to your home directory.

BTW...I nearly deleted your email on the strength of your subject line! (I
get a *lot* of spam) <grin> Maybe try to put something more obviously YDL
related in it?

Good luck
Suzanne