Mac Office

Chaz McGarvey yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:40:24 -0600

On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 10:13 AM, Tyler Kelly wrote:

> Yellow Dog is a Linux distribution.  Mac software does not run on
> Linux.  Yellow Dog does include a program called Mac on Linux (MOL)
> that supposedly runs the Mac OS (and Mac OS X) simultaneously in a
> window. MOL is something like Virtual PC.  In fact, I have seem screen
> shots of it running Virtual PC, so theoretically, I guess you could
> have Linux, Mac OS, and Windows running in separate windows at the
> same time.

Also keep in mind that unlike Windows, Mac OS is made to run on the
same hardware that Yellow Dog is.  This allows MOL to not have to do
CPU emulation so running Mac OS in a PPC Linux distro will be faster
than running Windows in a PPC operating system.  I haven't spent a lot
of time working with MOL, but I can say it works rather well.

That said: As has been suggested, Open Office comes with Yellow Dog and
it will (I assume) open all your existing Word documents.  You
shouldn't have a steep learning curve if you already can use Word.  I
think this is the solution to pursue.

- Chaz