i386 applications

Ron Smith yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:59:33 -0700

No, you will not be able to run your i386 binaries on YDL.

The short answer is that the hardware is so different, which is why
there is Windows vs. MacOS and i386 vs PPC versions of linux. Granted,
the linux kernel source code is the same, but that source code has to
be compiled for the specific hardware that is going to be used.
Speaking very generally you can compile a kernel to run on a G4 and it
should run on any G4 (assuming the rest of the hardware is supported by
kernel or it can load modules to support them, but that is a little
more technical than you might care about). However that kernel will not
run on a Pentium of any sort.

That is actually the problem that Java is trying to solve. The idea is
to write code in Java that runs on a "Java Virtual Machine." The JVM is
really a piece of software that runs the Java code. All that has to be
done is to write a Java Virtual Machine for the hardware that you want
to run it on and you can run *any* Java program. That is why Windows
has it's own JVM, MacOS has it's own JVM, and Linux has its own JVM,
etc...

Hope that helps.

-Ron