Help with setting up FTP

senn yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 00:02:34 -0500

On 6/8/03 22:03, "Longman, Bill" <longman@sharplabs.com> wrote:

> Ok, I just got my hands on YDL 3.0 and I installed a server setup, but
> now I
> can't FTP into my machine. I set everything up in 2.3 just fine with
> proftpd, but proftpd doesn't seem to come with this YDL 3.0, and I've
> been
> tinkering with it and I can't seem to setup FTP access. Could anyone out
> there point me in the right direction in setting up FTP in YDL 3.0? Any
> help
> would be appreciated.
>
> -------
>
> Are you sure it isn't a firewall setting on your machine? Do a "service
> iptables stop" and see if that makes a difference. That's probably the first
> place to look before you start monkeying with other settings. Make sure you
> can ping the interface, see if you can telnet to port 21 and watch what you
> get. Or make your life easier and use nmap first. It will tell you the open
> ports on that machine.
>
> HTH.
------------------
Thanks for the advice.

I've got vsFTPd running, but now, but I'm having a new set of problems. It
only allows anonymous users to log in, people with accounts can't log in at
all.
I tried setting "anonymous_enable=NO" in the /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf, but it
still only lets anonymous users in. Can anybody help walk me through the
steps of properly setting up vsftpd. I just want to set it up where
anonymous can't log in, and where people with accounts are jailed in their
home directories.

Thanks for any help,
senn