data partition

Claude Flener yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 01:19:07 +0300

Do you mean by "data(free)" that you left the middle as free space?
In that case you can't use it by either Linux or OSX, because it isn't
formated.
Don't worry though, because you can format it with the OSX Disk utility, for
example.
I would make it a HFS+ partition, as that is the (only?) format that OSX
understands, and Linux is at least suppised to understand it too. I'm not
sure how easily this works, as I'm a Linux newbie myself, but it is supposed
to work.
I can tell you for sure that if you make it an ext3 format, then OSX can't
see it.
As an aside, you don't necessarily need to place that partition in the
middle. As long as it's formated with a format that both systems can read,
it doesn't matter where it is on the drive.
I'd go for HFS+ (i.e. Mac OS extended)

Hope this helps,

Claude