Install Apache 2 - GCC cannot create executables

Anthony Tambourino yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:41:41 -0500

I want to move my web server from an AMD box running Red Hat 8.0 to a
9600 (XLR G3/400, 512 RAM).

Installed YDL 2.3 no problem (server install so I am in the command
line).

I removed the default apache 1.3 install using apt-get remove.  Red Hat
8.0 install Apache 2.0.40 and I'd like to just copy my config files
over from it to the Mac.... plus I figure Apache 2 is the "future" and
will be supported later on down the road when 1.3 is put to pasture.

Problem is that when I type in ./configure in Apache-2.0.44 directory,
it starts the config process then exits with the following:

checking for gcc.... gcc
checking for GCC compiler default output... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables.

It says to look in "config.log".  I can't make hide nor hair of what is
in that file so that is no help.  This is GCC 2.95 (what YDL installs
standard).  I have no idea what to do about this and I am hoping
somebody can point me in the right direction.  Should I install the
latest version of GCC?  Is there some piece of GCC (such as a libc tool
or something) that I am missing in order to create executables that I
can install with apt-get?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Anthony