yaboot won't boot OS X

Jason Blome yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 03 May 2003 02:47:49 -0400

Hello,

     I just finished getting all of my yellow dog 3.0 installation up and
running, but it seems that now I can't get yaboot or open firmware to boot
my OS X partition.  I find this strange because I have no problem booting
this OS X partition through mac-on-linux, nor did I have a problem booting
this with YellowDog 2.3.  When I try to boot the OS X partition from the
yaboot prompt I get the following error: "DEFAULT CATCH, code=fffffff6."  My
yaboot.conf file and the output of pdisk -l follow.  I am running YellowDog
3.0 on a 2002 15" Powerbook g4.  Any insight into this problem would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

the contents of /etc/yaboot.conf are:

boot=/dev/hda9
device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:
init-message="Yellowdog Linux 3.0!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
partition=12
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
macosx=/dev/hda14

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8d
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda12
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8d.img
        append="hdc=ide-scsi"

delay=10
enablecdboot

the result of running /sbin/pdisk -l is:

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
#:                type name               length   base      ( size )
1: Apple_partition_map Apple                  63 @ 1
2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 64
3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 120
4:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 176
5:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 232
6:      Apple_FWDriver Macintosh             512 @ 288
7:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh             512 @ 800
8:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition       512 @ 1312
9:     Apple_Bootstrap untitled            20481 @ 1824      ( 10.0M)
10:           Apple_HFS "media"          45000000 @ 22305     ( 21.5G)
11:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap              1572864 @ 45022305  (768.0M)
12:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled         18134703 @ 46595169  (  8.6G)
13:          Apple_Free Extra                   8 @ 117210232
14:           Apple_HFS "macOSX"         52480360 @ 64729872  ( 25.0G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=117210240 (55.9G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  23 @ 64, type=0x1
2:  36 @ 120, type=0xffff
3:  21 @ 176, type=0x701
4:  34 @ 232, type=0xf8ff

pdisk: Can't read block 0 from '/dev/hdc'
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scd0'  (No medium found)