Howto?: network a Beige OSX and 7600 YDL2.3

ron yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 19 May 2003 15:08:51 -0700

Q0: Yes, you can still network 2 machines with the crossover cable.

Now, just for clarity, there is a difference between a router, a
switch, and a hub.

A router is "smart" and must be configured so that it can make
decisions about where/how to route traffic (data) through it. Routers
tend to be more expensive and more difficult to configure than hubs or
switches.

A hub is "dumb" and simply talks to all the devices that are connected
to it. For instance, if there is a hub with 3 computers attached to it
(computers A, B, and C) and computer A wants to send something to
computer C then it sends the traffic out of it's (A's) ethernet port.
It reaches the hub and the hub " broadcasts" this traffic to *every*
device plugged into it. It is up to computer C to recognize that the
traffic is intended for it and for computer B to decide that the
traffic is not intended for it and to ignore it. A hub cannot be
configured, it just listens on all of its ports and whenever traffic is
sent to it, it sends that traffic out of all the rest of its ports.

A switch is "slightly smart" and does not "broadcast" all traffic to
all computers attached to it. It is smart enough to know which computer
is connected to which one of its ports and send the data it receives
out to the correct computer. Generally there is not much configuring
that needs to be done on a switch. Often there is no configuration
needed.

Q1: As far as OS X goes, yes, that is how you configure it.  For YDL, I
am not sure, maybe someone else can help out there. I have been using
YDL for only a week and it is the 3.0 version. When I installed it I
set my iBook up to get a DHCP lease, so I haven't had to manually
configure any networking stuff.

If you normally use the YDL machine on another network and only want to
make a temporary change (until next reboot) you can use the ifconfig
command to do that. I can probably help you figure that out if you want
to go that route.

Q2: That is a good question-- you can use just about anything you like:
ftp, ssh, telnet, or whatever. All of those are command line utilities
(I think there are some graphical front ends for X for some of them,
but I have never used them). If you turn on the Personal Web Sharing in
OS X (system prefs/sharing) you should be able to see the OS X machine
with a the browser on YDL. You would just go to:

http://10.10.10.5/

and unless you have something else set  up it will probably just be the
default apache web page.

You can also turn on the Personal File Sharing and you should be able
to:

afp://10.10.10.5

If the browser you are using in YDL supports it.

Once you have the two machines on the same network, you might want to
try and set up SAMBA for filesharing between them. There might be an
easier way to set up filesharing with OS X and YDL, but I am unaware of
any. I will play around with this later today and see if I can come up
with something more useful.

Q4: The connections I have described are TCP/IP. I am not sure where
AppleTalk fits into the picture other than I am pretty sure that
AppleTalk can use TCP/IP to get from one machine to another. To the
best of my knowledge it is just kind of magic and "just works." I wish
I could be more help here.