fixing "weird & unchangeable" monitor settings (!?)

David Purdy yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 21 May 2003 09:07:39 -0700 (PDT)

Monitor resolution/config problem...

I installed YDL 3 on a beige G3/400MHz, w/ stock ATI
Rage II card, using old spare Apple RGB monitor
(640x480) from my LC III (all right, stop snickering!,
LOL!),...

The install seemed to go fine, but when finished with
login, & I went to graphical login, my screen had that
stretched look to it (stretched vertically), and the
display setting say that I'm running the monitor at
800x600. I can't view the top & bottom 1/2inch of my
screen image. The system display settings interface
will not accept changes to either the resolution, or
the refresh rates.  It seems that it is misidentifying
the monitor.

I've looked at the Config & HowTo pages, and noticed
the link to the dexter.py monitor configuration.  Does
this still work in YDL 3 ?

What are my other options?  What is easiest & most
bombproof?

?Can I go in and pico-edit the XF86Config file
manually? (!!I found and printed the official Apple
Specs on the monitor's resolution and refresh
rates)...

?Can I restore the settings (the good ones in effect
at the time of YDL 3 installation!), by copying the
onto/inplace of the current messy-stretched XF86Config
file-settings?

Thanks in advance,

Dave