can't transfer files between networked YDL boxes

Ron Smith yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 13:04:57 -0700

I don't think that YDL enables FTP by default.

Do you have ssh running? If so you can scp (secure copy) the files from
one machine to the other. This is a bit overkill since it is *highly*
unlikely that anyone is going to intercept your data over a crossover
cable, but it might be easier than starting up ftpd. Plus you won't
have the security liability of having ftp running when you do end up
connecting them to the public network.

If you are not familiar with ssh, it is basically a secure replacement
for telnet. From the user perspective it works just like telnet. Under
the hood it is really creating an encrypted session between the two
machines and *never* sends your password across the network in plain
text (telnet does).

Instead of:
telnet machine2.mydomain.com

you would:
ssh machine2.mydomain.com

Or you telnet/ssh directly to the IP address instead of by domain name.
The first time you use ssh to a particular machine it will ask you if
you want to accept the key from the remote machine. After that it is
just like telnet in that it will ask for your password, then you are
logged in with your normal prompt and at  your home directory.

As long as ssh works, scp will work too. If ssh is running and you want
to give that a try it is a good way to transfer files. Unlike ftp it
will give you the status of the file transfer (% complete). It can be a
little tricky at first so if you can't figure it out from the scp  man
page, let me know and I will try to explain it more clearly.