can't transfer files between networked YDL boxes

Ron Smith yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 19:28:32 -0700

Hi  Dave,

If the 2.3 machine has it installed (just not started) it should be in
the /usr/sbin directory. If it is there you should be able to just

./sshd

to start it.

If it is not there, you should be able to rpm or yum it, I think. So
far (both weeks of life with YDL), I have not had to install anything,
nor have I had a chance to go through and figure out how it boots up--
what scripts it runs to start services, so we are heading out of my
area of experience. =(

I am sure it is possible to install ssh after initial install, but I
can't venture a guess for how easy or how difficult it may be to do on
YDL. I have only manually installed it on Solaris (major pain to
install/configure) and OpenBSD (medium pain). It could be more complex
than installing ftp because it may or may not automatically run the
scripts that generate crypto keys and such.

Installing ftp should be a breeze because it doesn't really need any
configuration. You would just install it and then start ftpd. YDL (and
most other Linuxes) installs the ftp client, I found it on mine, but I
didn't see the ftp server on my machine, so I don't think it installs
it by default.

I think you can just

yum install ftpd

and it will figure things out. I just did that on my machine and it is
doing *something*.... looks like building a list and taking a few
minutes to do it.

Installing ssh might be as easy as yum install ssh?

Sorry I'm not much help on this one.

-Ron