G3 ibook cdrom install problem

Jeff Burton yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 24 May 2003 00:39:35 -0700

Problem:
-when trying to install YDL 3.0 on my G3 iBook, the process hangs up.
sometimes during the installation of packages, sometimes before i even
get to the graphical install screen, sometimes during the pre-install
selections, partitioning and such.
-first time install, over 50% of packages installed, subsequent tries,
usually no more than 30 packages or so.
-what happens is the cd-rom starts making noises, spinning up,
stopping, etc. sounds like the cd is speeding up, slowing down, lots o'
chunka-chunka noises all through. This continues, and the install
process stops.

The same install discs worked perfectly on my G4, and I can install OS9
fine on the ibook.
ibook previously had YDL 2.3 and OS9 on it, I decided to upgrade to YDL
3, and the ibook has a 3 gig HD (no more OS9)....

I read somewhere else in the list archive about the same thing
happening on a G3 iMac. Suggestions were: lower the burner write speed,
and that the noises were due to the older optical drive trying to read
newer 700mb cds.  So i burned the install discs onto 650's instead, no
work.
Lowered burn speed...try again still chunka-chunka and a stopped
install.
I've left the process going for an hour or so...nothing moves, and i
really don't like the sound that cd drive is making....

Anyone know what I should be doing?

Alternatively, the YDL site says that with anaconda, you can install
from cdrom, ftp, http, etc...
I would like to do an ftp install....how do i do that?  I can't find a
how-to for some reason...only stuff about upgrading from 2.3 to 3, and
I'd rather do a nice clean install with YDL3.0..

help! thankyou.

jeff