X on Pismo failing to start!

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 24 May 2003 10:51:15 +0100

I'm having major problems getting the XF86Config correct for my Pismo.  I
installed via the text install as I originally had a problem with the
network settings when I tried the graphical installer.  Ironically I could
get X to start after the graphical install (why oh why oh why didn't I save
the XF86Config file from that install!!!), but I had no network and
couldn't work out how to manually get the network up and running - so I
thought another reinstall from scratch would be easier! :-(  This is now
the third time I've reinstalled YDL 3.0 in an effort to get the installers
to set everything correctly!

The relevant section of the XF86Config says:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Rage 128 Mobility"
	Driver		"r128"
	Option		"UseFBDev"
	VendorName	"ATI Rage 128 Mobility"
	BoardName	"ATI Rage 128 Mobility"
EndSection

But when I startx it crashes out with no screens and the log says:

(II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule "fbdevhw"
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
(WW) Open /dev/fb2: No such device
(WW) Open /dev/fb3: No such device
...... (it tries to open up to /dev/fb7 with the same result)
(EE) R128(0) failed to open framebuffer device

/dev/fb0-31 do exist!  I've checked!

I've run Xautoconfig and its XF86Config file (which uses the driver "fbdev
instead of "r128") also crashes out with another FBDEV error:

(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): Mode init failed

Getting sooooooooooooooo annoyed :(

Anyone?

Suzanne