Deleting stuborn trash items

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 07:59:09 -0500

Mr. Dennis:

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 09:16  PM, John Dennis wrote:
> How do you go about deleting items in the trash that don't want to be
> deleted? These are folders on my desktop that were in the process of
> doing ./configure.

First, try logging out, then logging back in. That *might* free up the
files in use (in some operating systems, there is a "file busy"
attribute that needs to be cleared). However, I am not certain that
would work.

> Can I use the console to empty the trash as a su?

Yes, absolutely:

[John]$ su
Password:
[root]# rm -i /home/jmdennis/Desktop/Trash/kmymoney2-0.4/admin/ChangeLog
rm: remove file `ChangeLog'? [type "y"]
[root]#

"rm" is the Unix "remove file" command. The folks who invented
Unix/Linux were lazy typists. The "-i" lets you delete the files
"interactively"; i.e., it asks you, first.

That's it!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>