OS X only?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:07:18 -0500

Max:

On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 10:43  AM, Max Malzkuhn wrote:
> Thanks for your response.

You are quite welcome. However, it seems you have several sticky
problems!

> Since I already OSX installed and several apps, etc. I would like to
> install 9 without having to re-install 10. I tried to install with my
> only 9 disk, 9.04, but it wouldn't install.

That *should* work, but I remember seeing reports that installing Mac
OS 9.x after Mac OS X was tricky.

> The way I did it before was to install 9 first, then upgrade it via
> Apple upgrades to 9.22 and then install 10. Am I forced into doing it
> this way again?

That is how I have always done it, and I know that installing OS 9
before OS X works. However, I can see why you might be reluctant to go
through that whole process again. :-(

> It is really a pain because I can't install 10 without swapping some
> memory out. 10 does not like to install with 384 MB (I won't even tell
> you how long it took me to figure that one out!).

That is *very* odd. I wonder if you have a bad memory chip. Mac OS X is
very sensitive to memory issues, and chokes on memory chips that work
fine with Mac OS 9.x. Among the symptoms of a bad RAM chip are
difficulties starting up (the usual symptom), difficulties running
programs soon after startup, and (I think) difficulties installing OS X
(don't quote me on the last item).

You might think about your motivations for which operating system you
want to run, and plan accordingly. For instance, if you want the
stability of a Unix/Linux-based operating system, then you might want
to make your choices between OS X and YDL. However, I can imagine that
Mac OS X would run unsatisfactorily slow on a Wallstreet. If you find
that to be the case, you might consider the Mac OS 9/YDL combo. On the
other hand, if you are satisfied with Mac OS X's performance on the
PowerBook (I haven't tried it on mine, yet), you might just stick with
Mac OS X/OS 9 (and the great range of well crafted software from which
to choose), and save the YDL for later experimentation.

Unfortunately, all of those choices will make you reinstall *something*.

> Also, I borrowed a friends adb mouse to see if it would work on this
> G3 PowerBook (Wallstreet) and it doesn't work. Any thoughts on that?
> It did work in OS 9 and in YDL before but not OSX???

I don't think Mac OS X supports ADB (I could be wrong). One thing to
keep in mind is that the ADB bus standard does not support hot plugging
(at least not very well). You might have to shut down the machine, plug
in the mouse, then start it up again for it to be recognized. (Having
said that, my external ADB trackball is recognized if I plug it in
"hot" on my Wallstreet. Interestingly, though, if I then restart with
the ADB trackball in place, YDL recognizes the "new" hardware, and
prompts me to install drivers.)

I hope this rambling discussion is at least slightly helpful.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>