mounting hfs+ partitions in yellowdog, and vice versa

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 05:05:06 +0200 (CEST)

> If they Debian and YDL, mention the order, "YA think it means
> something?"  If the documentation tells yu that the OS's will not be
> able to see each other, "Doesn't it make sense to figure out a work
> around?"  ie, creating an extra HFS partition to communicate between
> OS's  My advice is to reinstall it completely, compared to what some
> people on  this list have gone through to get YDL to even boot,
> you've got it easy.  Let us know how you're video configuration goes.
>  :)

thanks norberto! sorry for complaining when i have it so relatively easy.
i got a bit spoiled by things always going incredibly easily on
several very different intel machines (redhat windoze dual boot).

i did get the video configuration fixed! i compared
XF86Config in Knoppix-MiB-ppc-2e (live linux cdrom) with YDL's.
It was much more extensive and so I replaced/added lines from
knoppix to YDL. In particular, in the section "Monitor" I copied
the Modelname, HorizSync, and VertRefresh. I added a line
Modeline "1024x768" 65 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 806 -hsync -vsync
which knoppix associated with iBook2 (iBook 2 USB ports, what I have).
Knoppix had modelines for all thinkable models, ydl had none.
and then it worked. i don't know what did the trick.

the order of the partitions:
well, yeah, of course i did figure this means _something_ .
but, i've also been told that with gentoo it makes NO difference,
and as i said, also knoppix-ppc has no problems, so i wondered
if even if it weren't optimal still i might be able to leave things
in place and just fix odd problems as they arise e.g.
the fdisk -l and the swapon problems.

by the way i didn't see in the ydl documentation anything about
whether the OS's could see each other and given my experience with
knoppix-ppc i was honestly surprised that i couldn't see hfs+ from linux.
the other way round, i wasn't so bothered, just surprised too...

 ... but ... i'll take your advice, entirely, reformat and start over,
it's the wise thing to do and it's good experience and you'r right
i have been having it easy.

i kept away from linux on my iBook a long time because i could find
no nondestructive repartitioning software. and my whole life is on it.
but then i came across "Carbon Copy Cloner" which clones an
OS X hfs+ disk to another drive e.g. an external firewire drive.
and it can even make the clone bootable. so you clone to firewire,
boot from firewire, erase, partition, clone back, reboot...
it just takes time and nerves.

yours
richard